Slootbag had a live interview with lead encounter designer Morgan Day. Here are the highlights:
- While the first row of Azerite options gives one option per spec, some of these options will involve spells shared between specs and so would be an option for both.
- Azerite armor choices will be able to be respecced, but it is unknown how often.
- There is a possibility for one-off legendaries in BfA.
- Islands will be supported and updated post launch to be relevant the entire expansion.
- Tyrannical and Fortified affixes are being moved to level 2.
- The team is discussing the possibility of affixes that are "kiss-curse" such as the Rage Zone ability seen in Deadmines where mobs take and deal more damage inside of it.
- The group finder will be updated so that you can search for Mythic +'s by level.
- The team is happy with the item level of mythic + rewards in Legion.
- The team has talked about having "ahead of the curve" achievements and seasons for Mythic + achievements (completing a +15)
- One of the purposes of Uldir was trying to figure out how to kill an Old God without killing the host in the process.
- Raids will release on a schedule similar to Legion.
- Queen Azshara is the "Gul'dan" of Bfa, meaning she will likely be the final boss of the raid after Uldir.
- Unique Azerite abilities and trinkets are found in raids. This is the incentive to raid when tier is gone. The best gear will still come from Mythic raiding.
- The team wants to have unique abilities for each class and moments for them to shine in encounters.
- Raid encounters that require a specific class will only show up in Mythic raids.
- There will be another faction in BfA that has mini game world quests like the Kirin Tor in Legion.
Wowchakra Interview with Battle for Azeroth Devs
Wowchaka sat down with the WoW devs to discuss Battle for Azeroth. Here are the highlights:
- The team has some other ideas for the Advanced AI but wants to see how players react to it in Island Expeditions first.
- Anything implemented to NPC models (such as upright forsaken) could be implemented for player models in the future. There is nothing to announce now.
- There will be cinematic for the burning of Teldrassil and the Battle for Lordaeron.
- There may be more hidden mounts in BfA. The team loves watching the community come together to solve these puzzles.
- If the team adds an Allied Race that is defined by a certain weapon then they might add Heritage weapons for the race.
- Level scaling and the changes that came with it was a way to make leveling more enjoyable to new players.
Vanion Interview with Battle for Azeroth Devs
Vanion sat down with the WoW devs to discuss Battle for Azeroth. Here are the highlights:
- The team is aware of the faction imbalance of hardcore raiding guilds. They have some ideas on how to solve this, but nothing to announce yet.
- Racials will be adjusted if they are found to be overpowered.
- There are no plans for a sub-class feature.
- As you dive into the lore of Zandalari troll and Kul Tiran druids you will learn that their form of druidism is distinct from the existing races.
- Making cool druid forms is important because druids don't display their gear as frequently as everyone else.
- There will not be crazy big numbers for Azerite like there was for Artifact Power.
- The 77 days between patches was pure coincidence.
Buffed Interview with Battle for Azeroth Devs
Buffed sat down with the WoW devs to discuss Battle for Azeroth. Here are the highlights:
- Warfronts will be up for testing on the Alpha soon.
- Warfront rewards will be updated over the expansion to encourage people to participate.
- There will not be a weekly cap on Azerite.
Gamereactor Interview with Battle for Azeroth Devs
Gamereactor sat down with the WoW devs to discuss Battle for Azeroth. Here are the highlights:
- Allied races are meant to feel like a prestigious reward for earning the faction's trust.
- Island expeditions are meant to be about the sense of exploration.
GamerBraves Interview with Battle for Azeroth Devs
GamerBraves sat down with the WoW devs to discuss Battle for Azeroth. Here are the highlights:
- The team still believes that when an expansion first launches the best way to experience it is on the ground. They have learned a lot from Warlords and Legion's flying and will use what they learned for flying in Bfa.
- Survival Hunter and Demonology warlocks are the two specs that got the most reworks in BfA.
- There might be Island Expeditions in the future that have more than 3 players.
Xorothian Cultists Channel Cast Time
Our good friend Simca recently posted an explanation for the Cultists channeling that has recently been speculated about.
Originally Posted by MMO-ChampionThe duration between the Cultists channel end dates is just the largest value of milliseconds the game can hold, and for exactly half of that time, the game masks the channeling cast from the player because it thinks the channeling time is negative. Blizzard is not directly controlling any of these values intentionally, as such any events "connected" to these casts is entirely coincidental, and the community shouldn't get hyped when they restart casting.
This Week in WoW History
We're taking a look back at old MMO-Champion posts and World of Warcraft news that occurred during this time in previous years.
Crabby: The Dungeon Helper
Besides the yearly April Fools Patch Notes, Blizzard also made a few funny announcements each year. In 2011, Crabby: The Dungeon Helper was announced. This new feature would guide players through dungeons to ensure their success. This would be especially helpful in the new dungeon, the Tomb of Immortal Darkness, where it was always dark, and players could only see a very limited range. As it turns out this Deep Dark technology ended up being used six years later, on Mythic Kil’jaeden.
Hearthstone: The MMO
After the great success Hearthstone had, it was time to announce the new 3D game world based on the card game. Hearthstone The MMO would feature all of our favorite characters, and give players a chance to plunge into a World of War to face all kinds of foes. This announcement was of course the 2016 April Fools joke accompanied by the Frostdoge Clan faction set to be added to Warlords of Draenor. This new faction has new mounts, trinkets, toys, and pets. In return players just need to collect Chunks of Dogestone throughout Draenor.
Remote Guild Chat
A Guild Chat App was announced in 2011, with the promise of an app that gave players a chance to read and write in guild chat from their phones. This app also had a few cool features for its time, such as access to the in-game calendar to view events, and the list of online players. This was the first iteration of the app, leading to the development of the World of Warcraft Armory app, which had many additional features, and is still available for download.
Last article we mentioned the revamp of the Scarlet Monastery. Scholomance is the second dungeon which was revamped for Mists of Pandaria. The entire zone got updated art and increased texture resolution. Some of the bosses also got a complete revamp to their toolkit, and some got their position in the dungeon changed.
The Warcraft Youtube channel released a video featuring Tony Swatton and the forging of the Gorehowl axe. With Warlords of Draenor approaching, it was the perfect time to forge the most iconic Orc weapon in the game.
In 2016, a few urban artists from ARTtitude took to the streets of London to share some Warcraft art with the world. Four Night Elf themed murals war painted along Great Eastern Street, each with a different style. The artists were also scheduled to travel to Amsterdam and Paris for a murloc and orc themed event.
The second animated short tells the story of Widowmaker. When playing her on King’s Row, she will say “Ah, the site of one of my finest kills. That day, I felt alive.” This refers to the assassination of Mondatta, the story of which is told in the short. As with the previous short, we get exciting combat and special effects combined with a great story.