Developer Q&A - Senior Game Designer Paul Kubit
Paul Kubit talked about patch 7.2.5 content including: Black Temple Timewalking, the Deaths of Chromie, Trial of Style, The Great Gnomeregan Race, and more!Patch 7.2.5
will hopefully be ready for release on June 13
, but that date is not final
Trial of Style
- There will be an AMA on Reddit in the next few weeks.
Illusions on Hunter Weapons
- Trial of Style will make all transmog changes and haircuts free!
- It is a five day event that may run multiple times per year. It depends on how it feels when it goes live.
- Trial of Style rewards are previously obtainable transmog appearances, but they aren't as easy or desirable to get anymore.
- This is the first season of Trial of Style. More appearances could be added as rewards.
- The team didn't make the technical changes to add enchant appearances to bows and guns.
- A fiery gun might look odd.
- Foreshadowing exists in the game now, in places where you might not expect it.
Pet Battle Dungeons
- You will be able to go back and get your class mounts after Legion.
- Patch 7.2.5 adds the Deadmines pet battle dungeon.
- The team will keep adding pet battle content as long as players are interested in it.
Legendary Item Upgrades
- It is good to have smaller patches that include some content for players that aren't always the majority of the playerbase.
- The smaller patches also allow the team to react to player feedback and offer new content more often.
- You will need to collect items from playing the game to upgrade your legendary item, similar to the item level 940 upgrade.
- You won't have to accept the quest to start collecting those quest items.
- The upgrade item will bring your legendary to item level 970, so you won't have to do the previous upgrade quests.
Black Temple Timewalking
- The base item level of World Quest rewards won't be going up. They went up in Patch 7.2.
- When Mythic ToS opens, the Titanforge cap will go up, but the base item level will not increase.
- Your level and item level will be scaled down to an appropriate level for the old raid.
- You will be able to get rewards that are appropriate for your character level.
- It will be open during the Burning Crusade timewalking weekly event.
- It will be tuned towards the low side of Normal difficulty.
- The team wasn't against making it similar to Raid Finder in difficulty, but the encounters are relatively complex and removing mechanics would ruin the feeling.
- There may be raid groups that won't be able to clear it and that is okay.
- You will need to go in with a premade group.
- A single player could wipe the raid on Gorefiend. The mechanics still exists.
Glory of the Tomb Raider
- The raid release pacing in Legion has worked out pretty well so far.
Great Gnomeregan Race
- Armaments of the Legion don't exist anymore. They were Legion weapon appearances. There weren't appearances for all types of weapons, so they changed the achievement.
- The team didn't want to do a mount this time, as class mounts were just unlocked.
- The Tomb Raider title and pet are in the latest build.
Legendary Item Equip Cap
- This is a micro-holiday that has players run from Gnomeregan to Booty Bay.
- This was inspired by the Running of the Gnomes community event.
- Micro-Holidays aren't usually based on real holidays, but instead things that happen or could happen in Azeroth.
- The team talked to the organizers of the Running of the Gnomes event to make sure they were okay with this event.
Third Relic Slot
- There are no plans to increase the cap to 3 at this time.
- The team has changed legendary items to make them all more competitive with each other.
- Increasing the cap to 3 would make it take longer for alts and more casual players to catch up.
- Keeping the cap at 2 also allows for more flexibility to wear different set pieces and keep the bonuses.
Order Hall Champion Item Level
- There aren't plans to make the third relic slot available right away at Level 110. The team wants it to be a reward for completing your campaign.
- The amount of effort required for each step has been reduced as the expansion went on.
- There are no plans to add a champion item level catch up item at this time.
- This kind of catch up was more important in Warlords, as missions were more essential to your gameplay.
- The Elite Strike missions do require a higher item level and adding a catch up mechanism takes away from these missions being challenging.
- You are scaled to item level 1000 and level 112.
- There is a talent research mechanic, allowing you to unlock talents as you earn reputation with her.
- You can keep running the scenario if you want, but you may want to wait for the talents to unlock.
- There isn't any kind of gating here, you can do it at Level 110 as much as you want.
- This isn't really Legion content, so it shouldn't go away. In theory you will be able to do it in future expansions still.
- Deaths of Chromie works better with just a single player, as it allows for storytelling. If two players are different points were to go in, one would either skip content or have to redo content.
- Withered Army Training taught the team a lot. There was stress that came from the lockout, the mandatory feeling, the tuning for different classes and specs.
- Deaths of Chromie attempts to address those issues. Tuning was looked at more carefully and there should be less stress now.
- Originally the scenario called for Chromie to save someone else from death, maybe Alexstrasza, Thrall, or Jaina.
- Heirlooms will be upgradeable to Level 110.
- You will be able to learn Azeroth flight paths from a Heirloom like item.
- New PvP Brawls are coming, Temple of Kotmogu with haste, 6v6 battlegrounds, arena maps that are 15v15 or 10v10.